Clockwork Recognized as Bicycle Friendly Business
| posted on 6/14/11 by Chuck Hermes
"Your business is doing wonderful things for its employees and the greater bicycling community - Congratulations!"
Carly Sieff - bikeleague.org
It's no secret that the Clockwork staff is a group of smart, talented, motivated geeks. It should also be no surprise that we foster an active, healthy, green-leaning culture. As a part of that, we love our bikes. Today we received word that being "bike friendly" is more than just a bunch of pedal-heads sharing a common geek obsession. Earlier this week at the National Bike Summit in Washington DC, the League of American Bicyclists recognized Clockwork as a 2011 Bicycle Friendly Business winner. The Bicycle Friendly Business (BFB) program recognizes employers’ efforts to encourage a more bicycle friendly atmosphere for employees and customers. The program honors innovative bike-friendly efforts and provides technical assistance and information to help companies and organizations become even better for bicyclists.
How did we achieve this recognition?
Cycling and other healthy commute options are a natural part of our lives. We haven't had to twist arms through special incentives or competitions. That said, here are some of the extras that we have done to make bicycling convenient for our staff and clients.
- Indoor bike parking
- Shower rooms added during our office building renovation in 2009
- In-office repair stand and maintenance tools
- Group rides for training and recreation
- National MS Society MS150 team sponsorships
- Organized Tour de St. Croix rides (from Clockwork to the St. Croix Valley and back)
What's coming up this season?
- Additional outdoor bike parking
- Summer commute incentives
- Rider kits (jerseys, hats, water bottles, etc.)
- Sponsorship and hosting of the 2011 Art Crank pre-show family bike event (more details coming soon!)
- Sponsorship of the Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota
- Partnership with the Nice Ride MN bike share program
- Team Clockwork sponsorship for 2011 MN MS150 ride
- ...and more!
During the primary bike commuting season of 2010, Clockwork employees shifted over 6,000 commuter miles from their automobiles to their bike tires. This is the equivalent of a Minneapolis to New York to Los Angeles and back to Minneapolis trip. That is a long distance. And a lot of gas saved. And calories burned. And time tacked on to the end of our lives.
Email me for more information about Clockwork cycling, if you would like to join us for a group ride, or to talk about joining Team Clockwork for the MS150.